Thursday, January 18, 2018

From Sheep To Shawl - Gotland Fleece



Last summer we began a fascinating adventure in sheep.  I must say I was very nervous at first since we know absolutely nothing about sheep (slowly but surely we're learning).  It has been a joy getting to know and work with them and learn new skills.
Last fall I learned that I can't depend upon a sheep shearer in this area, they are very few and hard to find.  So I bought myself some hand shears and sheared them myself.  I learned to skirt a fleece, wash a fleece, card the wool and through the wonders of YouTube I've learned to use a drop spindle and spin my own yarn. 
I'm not a person who enjoys sitting around with nothing to do, I like to stay busy during the day and have a task.  Processing fiber this winter has kept me busy during the slow season on the poultry farm.

Gotland sheep have amazing fleece!  I love the colors of the sliver, gray, and charcoal gray.  I'm not a great spinner but with time I'll improve.  I'm sure to an experienced  eye this might look like a hunky  chunky mess but I love it!!
It has taken many hours of work to get to the stage of sitting down and knitting.  There are a whole lot of steps in making yarn...
Once I had the yarn spun, I decided I would make a shoulder wrap or shawl.  It's a very simple pattern that I got from Pinterest but also added my own twist to the pattern.  Larry made the buttons from deer antlers, wasn't that so sweet!







I wore the wrap out to take a few photos with the girls, it was so funny, I'm pretty sure they recognized the wool!

















They never stopped sniffing.  I think they approved of what I had made with their lovely locks.
I still have more fleece, so it's on to the next project, what shall I make next...
Larry would you like a sweater or long underwear???










On to the next adventure, hoping for lambs in the spring.

Have a blessed day!
Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment