Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Adventures in Egg Hatching: Part 3

We are getting very close to our chick hatch date!  If the chicks come right on time, they should hatch on Saturday.  When reading after our power outage I learned that they might hatch a day late since there temp was down for several hours.  Low temp slows metabolism and growth of chicks.  Either way it looks like we will have fluffy little chicks this weekend! 

Since the chicks will be here so soon the girls and I have been getting ready for their arrival.  Aunt Angie helped us to gather all the supplies we would need.  I’ll give you a run-down of what we have.  The chicks will be tiny and we will only have 7 at best, so we are going to have them spend their first days in a large rubber made tote.  To make their home very comfy we are putting some pine shavings in the bottom.  These are easy to change out when they get soiled.  One of the most important items needed for raising chicks is a heat lamp.  Since Aunt Angie has several she sent one home with me.  We also have a chick feeder and waterer. 

Ella


I couldn't keep them out of the pine shavings!


Emma

It worked out great for us that Angie is letting us borrow all the things the chicks will need.  If you are hatching chicks and don’t have access to borrowing the things you will need be sure and check out our friends over at Brinsea.  They have everything you need for not only hatching but also raising happy and healthy chicks. 

 If you are interested in hatching chicks then obviously the first item of business is getting an incubator.  We will be helping one of you out with just that!  Our Brinsea friends are going to be sending an incubator to our lucky winner.  To let us know that you would like to be put in the drawing to win the Mini Advance Brinsea Incubator you need  to become a follower of our blog (if you have not already done this), like the Brinsea Facebook page and share the Facebook update about our give away. To let us know you have done these leave us a blog comment telling us what your favorite “dream item” is on Brinsea’s website.  Be sure and leave your email address in your comment so we know how to contact you if you are the winner.  I know there are a few steps to enter the drawing but the Brinsea Incubator is worth it!  I have had no temperature problems and it turns my eggs like clockwork!  Your chance to enter will end next Tuesday, June 18 at noon.  We will announce the winner the next day and hopefully be sharing our successful hatch story.

Someone will have one of their own!!



Hope all of you have a great week!!

Melissa

34 comments:

  1. I love this blog its so fun and informative

    ReplyDelete
  2. Entered- I want the Brinsea Mini Advance sooooo bad!!! Would like to have the warmer and the scope also!!
    Denise - dmoorer2762@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love the Brinsea Mini Advance for those expensive shipped eggs. I also would like the Brinsea Ecoglow 20 for my brooder next year! defalrvt@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog I shared and the dream item I want from Brinsea is the Octagon® 40 Advance EX Incubator. I mean if your dreaming might as well dream big right LOL!
    Melissa - Nuttyfrom6kids@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've completed the requirements and would like to be entered to win the Brinsea incubator. My dream item from Brinsea is the Ecoglow 50 Brooder. angiebaby12866@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so ready to hatch some chicks! Just need an incubator from Bresea! sherrymountmn@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMGoodness, I would LOVE LOVE LOVE the The Octagon 20 Advance!! Just starting out after my husbands colon cancer so we are becoming self sufficient and much healthier!! Thanks for this chance!! Linda
    WilfongsRus@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Octagon Advance sounds great dream! The OvaScope would be great to! Andvthe EcoGlow 50 to keep them warm
    Thank you for the offer
    Nancy Jones
    millermouthnj@gmail.com
    Good luck on the harching!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the Mini Advance! I would so enjoy hatching my own little birds! mphbrown@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this blog....so happy I found it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Already liked :-) and shared. I would like to have one of their incubators or heat lamps. gmasue45@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. The mini advance would be my first pick. I've wanted to add to my chicken hobby by trying my hand at incubating. I first searched for the most user friendly, no nonsense incubator around the same time this past winter that I discovered the beautiful eggs at Chicken Scratch Poultry. Every search led me to Brinsea. The mini advance seems like the natural choice for my small scale hobby. I consider myself a bit of a trailblazer in urban chickens in my city. The ordinances were past about a year or so ago to keep hens. I love sharing with people if your going to raise hens for eggs that they might as well lay pretty eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Done, done and Done! I had liked your page, and brinsea long ago,, but also now shared the news about the contest and blog. My dream item would be the Octogon40 Advance Ex but would also love the ecoglow 50

    thanks for a great chance at winning my very first incubator!
    Joephiluc@aol.com

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am a Chicken Scratch Poultry fan and a huge Brinsea fan!!! It would be a dream to own Brinsea Mini!!! An even bigger dream would be a big Brinsea!!!!!
    Thank you and good luck with your hatch!!
    Pam
    thesonsfamily@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, I liked the Brinsea page, am a follower of your blog, and have shared this update on Facebook. We live up in the mountains completely off-grid, with a goal of 100% self sufficiency and 'green-ness'. My DREAM Brinsea item would be the Mini Advance! The reason is that our poor baby chicks keep dying before hatch because our foam Hovabator Bator incubator is too big and cannot keep a steady temperature. In addition, the bigger incubator takes too much power for our solar to keep up, and we hate running the generator (which uses propane). We have a lot a super sweet chickens that are happy and spoiled; they even get to free range our 14 acre property in the trees! We have Blue Wheaten Ameraucana, French Black Copper Marans, Welsummer, and Brown Leghorn. Please pick us to win! My email is skibuny73@yahoo.com Thank you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'd also like to win the mini because my 40th birthday is June 16th, and my husband is and will still be gone on fires in New Mexico :-( (we're in MT). So it will be a nice gift to help keep me occupied!!! :-)

      Delete
  16. I have followed all of the steps and my dream Brinsea product is the classroom incubator and brooder pack.
    Thank you
    amycooke7@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. If I were to get my dream product from the Brinsea website it would be the Octogon 40 Advance incubator. We just love us some chickens:)!!!!
    amylangley93005@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I followed all the steps! My dream product would be the Brinsea Octagon 40 Advance EX Incubator! Thank you.
    kara101584@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello, I would love any of the Brinsea incubators but My dream product would be the Brinsea Octagon 40 Advance Incubator! I would love to watch the chicks hatch out. It's such an adventure, especially being disabled with polio. I always loved having chickens on the place!. Thank you

    jmoorebub@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Followed all of the steps to enter! Would love to have the Ovascope !

    ReplyDelete
  21. I would love to enter the Brinsea Incubator drawing. Please enter my name in the drawing. I think I took all the steps needed. Good luck to everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I don't like to ask for to much but my dream item would be the Brinsea Contaq Z6 but would very happy with the Brinsea Mini Advance. My e-mail is pjvega@bellsouth.net.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Entered- I want the Brinsea Mini Advance! I would like to use this with our second try at hatching eggs! You can check out my earlier post:) It is hard to pick just one item beacuse being new to this EVERYTHING I want and am ecited about. How fun this has been our fingers are crossed for you, your girls and ducklings!!! My email is mtadkins5@gmail.com...I be waiting to hear we WON ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the way we will be blogging about our hatching too thanks for the idea! I hope they make it this time because it was bad enough for me and my girls so can't imagine a whole class.

      Delete
  24. Entered/liked/ and shared! I would love the Octagon 20 advance EX! Love it all!!! My email is DACB1976@aol.com Thanks for doing this wonderful giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I liked, subscribed and shared! I would LOVE the Octagon 20 Advance as my dream item! My email is jenheriot@me.com - thanks for doing this giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  26. My dream item is the Brinsea Mini Advance!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've completed the steps and would love to be entered in your contest. Our dream product would be the Brinsea Mini Advance. It sounds amazing and very user friendly, so it would be perfect for us. Thank you for this opportunity! karlyheimke@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank for explaining your experience in an engaging way. The images enhance the appeal of the post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouraging words! Check out my post from today lots of pics and the hatch story! Thanks again for reading!!

      Melissa

      Delete
  29. The egg incubator was great, I used it and found it very good with this product.
    see here

    ReplyDelete