Thursday, June 27, 2013

Farm Happenings - Western Screech Owls

For the last 3 years Western Screech Owls have nested in a hole in a tree in our front yard.
 

 It's always so neat to watch and listen to them.  They usually hatch out two of the cutest little chicks.  The parents never seem too concerned with us watching or getting too close. The first year we weren't sure if we were watching babies or adults.  The Western Screech Owls are quite small so we thought they were babies.  There was always one sitting in the tree.  Little did we know that what we were watching was the adult and the mate was sitting on the nest in a hole in the tree.  Well, after watching the owl sitting in the tree for about three weeks, one evening we noticed the cutest, big eyed fluff ball sitting on the ground.  It was at that time we realized we'd  been watching the adult all along.
 
 This picture was taken after the dog backed him up against the tree and barked in his little face.  The parents are very trusting and didn't try to protect him.  The dog wasn't really sure what to think about his screeching and snapping his bill and decided to leave the ball of fluff alone.
 
 
  One evening while returning home from town, when we pulled into the drive we noticed something hanging on our front door handle.  I got out of the car and walked over to check it out, it was the baby owl.  Not sure why he was hanging upside down on the door.   As I got closer he was able to fly a short distance over to this tree.
 
 
The next morning I spotted the little guy again sitting under my lilac bush, so what do I do but grab the camera again and snap his picture.  Seems in the bright day light his big eyes don't open so wide.  this baby owl is not the least bit afraid of me.  I have to watch carefully when I pull my car out of the drive because he wants to sit under it.  A couple of days ago I was needing to run to town real quick and guess who was sitting under the car.  So I thought for a minute, how am I going to get him out of there.  So I went to get the broom and broomed him gently away, by the time I put the broom back he was under the car again.  This time I just picked him up and sat him over by the tree.  The mother fussed at me and the fluffy guy screeched a little but we all survived, I didn't loose an eye or finger.  Never a dull moment here on the farm and I love every minute of it!
 
 
 
Philippians 4:8
Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praise worthy, meditate on these things
 

1 comment:

  1. Hi...am new to your Blog and loved the story about the Screech Owlets. Some years ago, I rescued and temporarily cared for baby Barn Owls, each year. I discovered that babies are babies and will not bite...kept them in a bucket in my kitchen. I caught field mice and carved them up after my farm cat dutifully dispatched them for me. I discovered that unlike poultry, they have no crop so when you poke a morsel of food in your finger goes down to their little gullet! Was able to get them to a Raptor Center and after the 3rd year of this they asked to license me, which I respectfully declined. Happy memories :-) PW

    ReplyDelete