Friday, January 17, 2014

Chicken Scratch Poultry, The Guest Speaker For Our Local 4H



Back in November I felt very honored to be asked to speak with our local 4H kids here in Hamilton Co. I've learned that over the past couple of years the kids in our area have become very interested in raising poultry for 4H.  Raising poultry is something even a youngster in town can do, when you don't live on a farm and have the option of having the larger animals.
Our farm was recently discovered out here in the country by one of the local 4H moms and they purchased a few birds from us, well it wasn't long and she approached me about speaking with the 4H kids about our breeding farm.  Most people in our area don't know that we're even here, we don't advertise locally and if you stopped in town and asked for directions to Chicken Scratch Poultry I don't think anyone could tell you where we are.  Most everyone around our area purchase their chicks from Rural King, which gets to be a little boring when the kids go to show their poultry and everyone has the same Rhode Island Red.  I've got nothing against Rhode Island Reds but let me tell you, there are prettier and better birds to be had.   So the 4H leaders thought it would be a good idea to let the kids know who we are and what we do.
Carrie and Glenna, the 4H ladies, put together a power point based on our website, which was a huge job and very well done!  I couldn't have done that without them.  We were just coming out of our busy season on the farm and had no time to prepare.  It was very well put together all I had to do was stand before the kids and their parents and illustrate as the photos scrolled.   I was as nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs.  Not sure why it made me so nervous, I guess I wanted to make sure I gave them the best information I was capable of.

 The kids listened intently and seemed to be interested in what I had to say.  I hope I didn't bore them to death.

It was obvious that Glenna and Carrie had put many weeks of preparation into making this a special evening for the kids.

 Looking through the microscope at embryo  development was a big hit.  










The kids grading the eggs by weight.


I think the evening was fun and informative for the kids and hope to see some of them in the spring as they choose the breed of poultry that fits their needs.

Have a Great Day
Angie








No comments:

Post a Comment