Friday, April 19, 2013

Sweet Vanilla Crepes

In March my first niece was born and I got to fly to Seattle to meet her and spend some time with my mom, dad and sister.  This was the first time I had ever left my girls for more than one night, but they did great and I had a fantastic trip as well!  It was nice to get away and have some time off from mom duties.  I love being at home with the girls but everyone needs a break from time to time.



While there, I got to love on my niece and go out and about too.  One afternoon we went to Bainbridge Island, a quaint island with neat shops and some great places to eat.  For lunch we tried a little cafe which serves only crepes.  The cafe had savory and sweet crepes and of course we had to have one of each.  It was the perfect setting and the crepes were delicious 

The six days we spent in Seattle flew by and soon after I got home I was thinking of my sister and the tasty crepes that we had on our day out.  I couldn't help but make some at home. Crepes are pretty easy to make and when filled with fresh fruit and whipped creme they are the perfect spring time treat!  When I made these my oldest daughter Ella said, "Mom you are the best cooker ever".

Sweet Vanilla Crepes

4 eggs  ( I apologize for the use of boring white eggs.  I am all out of Chicken Scratch Eggs.  Oops!)
1/2 cup of melted butter
1/4 cup of sugar
1 cup of flour
1 cup of milk
1/4 cup of water
1 tsp of vanilla
dash of salt



In a blender or food processor combine your eggs, butter, sugar, milk, water, vanilla and salt.  Pulse these ingredients a few times and then slowly pulse and add in the flour.  Blend until no lumps remain.  Most recipes say to let the crepe batter rest for at least an hour before using.  I am impatient and didn't wait at all, and the crepes seemed perfect to me.  Cook the crepes over medium heat in a non stick skillet.  Pour in about 1/3 cup of crepe batter, swirl the pan so that it evenly coats the bottom of the pan.





 As the crepe cooks it will begin to loose its shine and pull away from the edges of the pan.  Flip it and it will cook on the other side.  Then fill with whatever you would like.  In my opinion you can't go wrong with strawberries and whipped creme.  If you like a little chocolate with that combo add a smear of Nutella and you will be in heaven.





Each time I make these it brings to mind fond memories.  I love when food does that!  Try these and let us know how they turn out.  What recipes do you make that bring up great memories?  Leave us a comment with your story.

Enjoy and God Bless!

Melissa





2 comments:

  1. Those sound delicious! I will have to give it a try. Potato soup always makes me think of my Mom. She would always make it for us when we didn't feel good and I think of it as a comfort food to this day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa, this is a great posting. Jonathan loves crepes. I will try this recipe. You did a beautiful job tying together the background story, recipe directions,and pics. Well done. (Aunt Lois)

    ReplyDelete