Friday, July 19, 2013

Sun tea +Tomato Worms = Summertime

I'm not sure what the weather has been like where you are, but here in Southern Illinois it is HOT!  Not only is it hot, but the air is so humid that it can be almost unbearable at times.  We are doing our best to stay cool and still enjoy the summer even amid the heat.  I thought it would be fun to share just a little of what our family has been up too.

It is HOT and SUNNY... so why not make sun tea.  Have you ever made it before?  We just put jar with water and tea bags out in the yard, then wait for the sun to do its job.  This is the first time making it with the girls. They always have a million questions and comments.  When we made our tea it was no different.  Here are a few...

Ella- "Mom what are we doing?  We don't have a microwave to make tea outside!"

Emma- "Can I smell it?"  This kid smells everything!

Ella- "I think if we don't use the microwave this will take a 100 days."

Ella- "Is this tea going to taste like the sun?  What does the sun taste like?"


Emma used the entire hand method for putting her tea bags in.

Sun Tea!


We have also been battling a great tomato worm.  For a few days I was convinced that a deer was eating my garden.  In the past we have seen deer tracks close to our garden area and each morning such huge portions of my plants were missing that I was convinced there was no way any type of bug or worm could be doing such damage.  On about the third day I decided to take matters into my own hands and make a deer deterrent.  I found some string, a couple post, and some tin cans.  My thought was to hang the tin cans so they would make noise and scare the deer away.  As I was "rigging" my noise maker, I realized that I was looking a giant worm right in the eye.  This was no average worm, this guy was huge!  Ella had been telling me for days that a "giant beast bug" was eating our plants.  I argued that it was a deer and well... she was right, it was a beast of a bug!

Just the day before she had visited my Great Grandpa's house and he was also dealing with tomato worms, he had educated her on how to squish it.  She then passed along his instructions..

Ella- " Grandpa Johnny says that you get it and you squish it with your foot.  But look out!  It will squirt everywhere!  Maybe even your eye!"

I decide to flush our worm down the toilet. I'm not much on squishing things!!

The giant beast!



Noah and I have been trying to plan an overnight getaway since our 9th Anniversary in June.  We finally got it worked into the schedule last week.  After dropping our girls off we headed to Evansville, Indiana.  It was just a short time away spent doing some shopping, eating out as many times as possible, ice skating, and just enjoying childlessness for a little while!



And last but not least our baby girl Eva finally started walking!  I say finally because she was 16 months old before she took her first steps alone.  Eva has been such a content, easy going little girl that she didn't really feel any need to walk.  When we are outside she is always happy to sit and watch the scenery from my lap.  With two silly older sisters entertainment is never far away.  She is enjoying her new sense of freedom and thinks that she is just as big as her sisters now! Here is a short video of her walking skills!


As usual things are busy in our home!  Sometimes I crave downtime, but when it comes I realize even more that we are blessed to have this crazy busy home!

Leave a comment and tell us what you have been up to on these sweltering days.  We LOVE to hear from you!

Melissa

1 comment:

  1. Your tomato worm could be a sequel to James and the Giant Peach!

    ReplyDelete