Wednesday, February 5, 2014

A Taste of Summer: Peach and Blueberry Waffles

Well, it is another snowy day here in Southern Illinois.  I think it is safe to say that we are all ready for spring to make its arrival.  Since I am longing for warmer weather and we're having a slow day around here, we started off our morning with some very tasty waffles.  I thought you all might like to try them! 

My parents gave me a waffle maker for Christmas and we have definitely been putting it to good use!  This morning instead of having plain waffles and syrup, I decided to add a little warmth to the mix by making a delicious fruit syrup and homemade whipped cream to top the waffles.  They were so good!


I have been using this waffle recipe: Perfect Crispy Waffles.  I am a trial and error kind of person, so I tried several before I decided to stick with this recipe.  It is a little labor intensive, but the results are a really good waffle.  For the topping I used some of last summer’s frozen peaches and some fresh blue berries.  I put the peaches and blue berries in a sauce pan, then I added sugar to my taste, 1 tsp of vanilla, and a little water.  After this simmered for about 10 minutes it made a nice sweet syrup for the waffles.  After the fruit syrup and the waffles were ready I whipped some heavy whipping cream until it made stiff peaks.  Then I added about 1 TBS of sugar and 1 tsp of vanilla.  The whipped cream, syrup, and waffles were a perfect combination.  My family thought so as well!

Ella and Eva enjoying their waffles!

When the winter seems to be going on forever, it can be such treat to pull out something canned or frozen from the summer’s harvest.  As my family sat and ate our waffles this morning I could not help but to get excited for the times that are ahead of us as spring arrives!  


If you are feeling like winter will never end where you are, give these waffles a try!

Stay Warm!
Melissa

1 comment:

  1. It's good that you made those waffles a lot of times before settling in with a recipe that you were comfortable with. Perfection is only achieved after a number of trial and errors, after all. Anyway, those crispy waffles look amazing, Melissa! Thanks for sharing the recipe with us! Happy eating! :)

    Faith Thomas @ The Berry Farm

    ReplyDelete