Friday, July 11, 2014

Blueberry Tart



Blueberry season has come and gone here on the farm but I still want to share this delicious easy recipe with you.  When we lived in Alaska many, many years ago, my mom and dad would take us to pick wild blueberries, I must say they were the best blueberries I've ever had in my life.  My mother got this recipe form a dear friend named Sue Krazelak while we lived there.   Every time I make this it brings back good memories of picking berries on the tundra, trying to make enough noise so that the bears knew that we're in their territory.  The berries grew very low and thick on the ground and it was like walking on old bed springs.  The berries were very tiny and oh so tart but had a flavor like nothing I ever tasted since then.  Nothing like what we grow here.  That said I'll have to make do with my big, fat not so flavorful berries.  I'm forever ruined since I've tasted the real deal.


Ingredients:
1 cup flour
2 Tablespoons sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 Tablespoon white vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoons cinnamon 
3 cups blueberries
2 Tablespoons powdered sugar


The first part we're going to make is the crust for the tart.  Mix 1 cup flour, 2 Tablespoons sugar, salt and butter and vinegar, you might need to do this by hand it is very thick and sticky.  Next press the dough into a tart pan if you have one.  I don't have one so I just use a pie plate. Refrigerate at least 15 minutes.  Heat oven to 400 degrees.

While your crust is refrigerating, combine your 1/2 cup of sugar (if you have really tart berries you might want more sugar) 2 tablespoons of flour, and the cinnamon.  Stir in the 3 cups of blueberries. Spread filling over the crust and bake for about 30 to 35 minutes.  Sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar and enjoy.   

No comments:

Post a Comment