Friday, September 6, 2013

Easy Refrigerator Pickles - Bread and Butter pickles


If you happen to still be getting a few cucumbers from your garden at this time. 
Here's a very easy pickle recipe.   This pickle I'm making today is more of a bread and butter type pickle.  It's quick and easy, if you have an extra refrigerator in your garage like we do, you can always stick a couple gallon jars in there and they will last all winter long.





Ingredients:
4 Qt. sliced cucumbers
4 cups sugar
4 cups apple cider vinegar
1tsp. mustard seed
1tsp. celery seed
1tsp. turmeric
1/2 tsp. alum
1/3 cup salt
3 or 4 cloves garlic ( I used minced garlic) 


Wash and slice cucumbers into a gallon jar or you can use quart jars. I fill my jar as full as possible, once you pour the hot mixture over them they shrink down.   Mix sugar, vinegar, mustard seed, celery seed, turmeric, alum, salt and garlic.  Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.  Pour over cucumbers.  Do not seal.  Let cool and place in refrigerator.  They are ready to sample by the following day.

Hope you enjoy!
Angie



This is my sea of cucumbers.  I always get a little carried away while putting seeds in the ground.


1 comment: